The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme (known as DofE) is open to those aged 14 – 24 years and has three Award levels: Bronze, Silver and Gold.
Each Award has four sections: Volunteering, Physical, Skill, Expedition and for the Gold Award there is a fifth section, the Residential.
Challenge Wales is an Approved Activity Provider and provides a fantastic Gold DofE Residential.
Any voyages that are 5 days or more qualify as a Gold DofE Residential.
Please note there is often bursary funding available to support all UK residents to jump onboard Challenge Wales, so check out our Bursaries page to see how much your voyage costs can reduce by.
Voyages that will qualify as a DofE Gold Residential this year are:
- Thu 22nd June – Sun 2nd July (Aberdeen – Halmstad, Sweden) | 11 days Jump aboard for our North Sea Challenge of 11 days. This is the ideal voyage if you can’t join us for the Tall Ships Races as you will still be able to take part in the festivities! – £299
- Sun 2nd – Sat 15th July (Halmstad, Sweden – Kotka (Finland). Join us for Race 1 of the Baltic Tall Ships Races, a 14 day experience like no other! Includes crew party, crew parade and Parade of Sail festivities. Perfect for those aged 16 – 25 years – £1,200 (full price). £600 (with full bursary). Please note €500 are available through an additional bursary fund on a first come first serve basis
- Sat 15th – Sat 22nd July (Kotka, Finland – Turku, Finland). Join us for a Cruise in Company experiencing different ports and sharing experiences with the Tall Ships fleet.8 days, perfect for those aged 16 – 25 years – £800 (full price). £400 (with full bursary). Please note €500 are available through an additional bursary fund on a first come first serve basis.
- Sat 22nd – Mon 31st July (Turku, Finland – Klaipeda, Lithuania). Join us for Race 2 of the Tall Ships. 10 days, suited for those aged 16 – 25 years – £900 (full price). £450 (with full bursary). Please note €500 are available through an additional bursary fund on a first come first serve basis.
- Mon 31st July – Mon 7th Aug (Klaepeda, Lithuania – Szcecin, Poland). Join us for Race 3 of the Tall Ships. 8 days, suited for those aged 16 – 25 years – £800 (full price). £400 (with full bursary). Please note €500 are available through an additional bursary fund on a first come first serve basis. This voyage is now fully booked
- Mon 7th – 14th Aug (Sczecin, Poland – Amsterdam, Holland). Take part in the Tall Ships Parade of Sail as we say goodbye to Szcecin and start our Homeward Bound voyage. 8 days, suited for those aged 16 – 25 – £750 (full price). £375 (with full bursary).
- Mon 14th – Sun 20th Aug (Amsterdam – Gosport) – Join us as we head Homeward Bound back to the UK. 7 day voyage, ideal for those aged 16 – 25 years. £495 (full price). £249 (with full bursary)
- Sun 20th – Fri 25th Aug (Gosport – Cardiff) – Join us as we head from the South Coast back to Challenge Wales’ home port. You will be joining the boat on Sunday ready for a Monday departure. Ideal for those aged 16 – 25 years. £495 (full price). £249 (with full bursary).
Residential (Gold Award Only) – On the Gold DofE programme, participants must undertake a five day residential activity. So why not come sail training with us for five days? You will help sail the boat to its new destination, you may also be involved in preparing the boat for visitors plus this activity may qualify you for an RYA Start Yachting or Competent Crew qualification.
Challenge Wales says: We can offer pre-residential training opportunities for those who want to try sail training for a couple of days before sailing with us or other sail training organisations for five days. Look out for the DofE symbol in our sailing schedule to see which trips are suitable. If you are an Operating Authority interested in bringing a group of people who don’t know each other for their Gold Residential then speak to us and we can discuss adding a DofE Residential trip just for your OA.
By taking part in the DofE Award you will fall within the eligible age for a Challenge Wales bursary which can help reduce the costs, particularly for residential activity.
Unfortunately Challenge Wales does not offer activities suitable for the Expedition section.
If you are interested in learning more about DofE then visit their website www.dofe.org