The Coronavirus pandemic is having a catastrophic effect on all UK charities. which is leading to an estimated loss of £4 billion for the charity sector. Mass participation fundraising events, such as marathons, sponsored swims, Round the Island Race and charity challenges as well as smaller events such as office cake bakes to our own big boat fundraising sailing days have now been cancelled or postponed. The 26th April 2020 would have been the biggest fundraising event of the year thanks to the London Marathon. However, the UK’s mass participation sports events industry has now joined together to create The 2.6 Challenge, an amazing UK wide fundraising campaign to Save the UK’s Charities.
Young people are going to need us when the Coronavirus pandemic is over. We offer a safe and supportive outdoor learning environment where young people can gain self-confidence, improve their lifeskills, have a digital detox, improve their mental health and well-being and gain recognised qualifications that can go onto their CV to help improve their employability prospects.
You can join the 2.6 Challenge and take part in any activity of your choice or donate and fundraise to help disadvantaged and vulnerable young people gain employability skills through outdoor learning with Challenge Wales.
The 2.6 Challenge will launch on 26th April 2020 (on what would have been the London Marathon) and run until 30th April 2020.
We are asking you to take part in an activity of your choice, based around the numbers 2.6 or 26 and either fundraise OR donate to Challenge Wales.
You could walk, run or cycle 2.6 miles, walk up and down your stairs 26 times, hula hoop 26 times, do 26 press-ups for a nautical twist you could write 26 sea shanty’s or learn how to do 26 knots or just donate £2.60 the cost of a takeaway coffee for example! The only requirements are that you must follow government guidance on exercise and social distancing.
There are just 5 simple steps to sign up to your 2.6 Challenge:
- Dream up your 2.6 Challenge. Need inspiration? Then check out these fundraising ideas
- Head to the Challenge Wales Virgin Money Giving Page to donate OR set up your own fundraising page. Please note donations received through Challenge Wales’ Virgin Money Giving page will come directly to Challenge Wales. You can also donate OR set up your own fundraising page through the Challenge Wales JustGiving Page.
- Ask your friends or family to sponsor you/donate or donate yourself. Why not ask them to undertake their own 2.6. Challenge and join thousands and thousands of people doing the same thing
- Complete your 2.6 Challenge
- Share a photo or video of your 2.6 Challenge on social media. Don’t forget to tag in @ChallengeWales and #TwoPointSixChallenge
For further information on The 2.6 Challenge then visit www.twopointsixchallenge.co.uk. You will see ideas for fundraising challenges, partners and sponsors.
You can do your 2.6 Challenge from 26th – 30th April 2020. Some people will start their challenge on the 26th April which would have been the day of the London Marathon, while others will be taking longer to do their challenge if it is spread over the coming days or over 2.6 weeks for example! But the sooner you sign up to fundraise the better!